In summary, “To avoid…use…”
- Foot injuries: Shoes, not crocs or flip-flops
- Head injuries: Helmets for bikes etc.
- Drowning: Pool safety
- Sunburn: Sun protection
- Swimmer’s Ear: Drops of Mineral oil or Hydrogen Peroxide after swimming
- Dog bites: Keep young kids away from dogs
- Food poisoning: Hand washing and caution around spoilable foods at picnics
- Heat exhaustion: Drink LOTS of fluids!
- Choking: avoid latex balloons and hard candies
- AND…Don’t forget to schedule your kid’s annual checkup.
But please, don’t stop here! Go read the complete article for lots more detailed information and related links.
EDIT: Cranquistador jillywisdom added the very important comment: "I would add do not leave children or animals in cars." Wise words during the hot time of year, when a car can quickly turn into an oven!